A couple of weeks back I decided to bake a swiss roll. To be honest i don’t massively enjoy baking. The bakes in my book are mostly ones that I have cooked for years – so are not stress inducing. Usually, any new bakes, are a cupboard slamming, sweary process –
that, whilst usually tasting good – hides the anger and impatience i went through in its creation!!
So I have no idea why I declared to my lovely friend Sarah the other day that I would be “making a swiss roll” and that “I really don’t think it can be that hard, I think those Great British Bake Off lot make a bit of a meal of it…..” Sarah was enthusiastic and supportive in a way that Paul was not…….he felt that it would be so stressful, that he went out!
I am very happy to announce that this bake was neither angry or stressful. It was a bit of a joy actually. Yes there were some cracks in the sponge when i rolled it (nothing a bit of sugar can’t hide!) and no, looks-wise it might not have won me star baker…….but it tasted amazing and was pretty quick to put together. I’ll be baking this again!
So yes, the GBBO lot might be making a bit of a meal of it……but then i don’t have 5 cameras, TV presenters and a new, multi buttoned oven to contend with when I bake……. Imagine what a cupboard slamming, sweary delight it would be if I did!
If you like the recipes on this blog, check out my new book The Savvy Shopper’s Cookbook (Ebury Press) CLICK HERE to go to the Amazon page.
- 200g Self raising flour
- 200g soft butter
- 200g caster sugar
- 1tsp baking powder
- 3 beaten eggs
- 200g strawberries
- 3 dessert spoons caster sugar
- 2 dessert spoons water
- 300ml double cream
- 400g strawberries
- Extra caster sugar for dusting
- Cut the stalks off the strawberries, quarter them and place them in a saucepan with the sugar and water.
- Heat the strawberries for 3 – 5 minutes, mashing the strawberries as you stir, until you have a runny jam mixture. Set aside to cool.
- Heat the oven to 180C.
- Make an all-in-one sponge by beating the flour, butter, caster sugar, baking powder and beaten eggs in a large mixing bowl until smooth.
- Line a 45cm x 30cm (approximate) shallow baking tray with baking paper and pour over the cake mix, spreading it evenly up to the edges of the tray.
- Bake in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Whilst the sponge cooks, lay another sheet of baking paper out onto the worktop and sprinkle with caster sugar. When the sponge is cooked, turn it out, straight away, onto the new baking paper and peel the used baking paper from the top of the sponge.
- Whip 300ml of double cream until it thickens to soft peaks. Spread the cream over the sponge and then drizzle in the strawberry jam.
- Slice the remaining strawberries into slices (stalk removed) Cover the sponge in evenly spaced sliced strawberries
- Hold the edge of the greased proof paper and use it to carefully roll the sponge on the short end.
- Serve and/or refrigerate.