What a busy few weeks it’s been. We’re all still settling into Cornish life – new house, new school….and my book came out last week! Everything still seems so new. The past few weeks have bought daily excitement, stresses…….and challenges, so I am now at the stage, that I am craving some normal!
So I thought I would get back into my blog today – having not written anything on here for a while. That is my normal!
The hot weather is coming. …..I’m convinced of it! Everyday I wake up and look out of the window, surprised that it’s not here yet. We are right on the brink of warm balmy nights, suncream and salads……..so i thought I would write a quick and simple bake, perfect for picnics and all of the al fresco lunches that are on the horizon!
These crackers are such a great weekend bake. They only take about 10 minutes to put together (ideal time frame for baking with kids over the holidays!) They make a great lunch (smothered in houmous or slabs of cheese) Perfect for a picnic or snack and they go really well with soup – basically, a must-bake!
This recipe makes quite a few, so if you have too many (and are less greedy than us) just pop them in the freezer. Once you’ve got the basic cracker recipe, you can make whatever flavours you like. I am a recent discoverer of flavoured salts (I do need to keep reminding myself that there is actually salt in it, as i go over the top with the grinder!) They would work really well in this recipe. I’m going to give some other flavours a go in the next few weeks, I think these might work:
- Parmesan and Thyme
- Chilli & Feta
- Cracked black pepper
- Turmeric & (hmm not sure what I will add to Turmeric, but i’m obsessed with it at the moment…..honey maybe, to balance the bitterness?)
Some of these are tried and tested, and others – as you can see! – are still in the planning stages! I would love to hear about other flavours you try.
I have been overwhelmed by the support this last week. You have all been so kind about the book and i am overjoyed by how much you’re enjoying it! Thank you so much xx
If you like this recipe, why not order a copy of The Savvy Shopper’s Cookbook
Makes 24 (ish)
- 200g plain flour (plus extra for dusting)
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt (plus extra for sprinkling)
- 2 tbls olive oil
- 110 ml water
- A couple of grinds of black pepper
- 1 tbls of very finely chopped Rosemary
- Heat the oven to 220C
- Mix all of the dry ingredients together in a large mixing bowl. (flour, salt, sugar, pepper and rosemary)
- Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and add the olive oil and water. Use your hands to combine all of the ingredients into a dough.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and roll out to 1-2mm thickness.
- Cut the dough into 24, 6cm x 5cm rectangles, before placing them on a greased baking tray or one covered in baking paper.
- Use a pastry brush to spread a little water over the top of each of the crackers and sprinkle over a little salt.
- Bake in the oven for 12-15 minutes, until they are just starting to little colour around the edges.
- They will still be soft when you take them out of the oven, put them on a cooling rack until they are crisp.