This seems to have become my go-to ‘cooking for friends’ dinner! I love the fact that it feeds many, I can knock it up in about 15 minutes in the morning, then pop it in the oven an hour before I need it.
The other great thing about this dinner is that it’s kid friendly. Although it’s rich and quite grown up in flavour, it’s got sausages in it, and what kid doesn’t like sausages?!
I cooked this for 8 people last weekend and I wondered whether I should post the ‘giant’ version of the recipe, as Bank Holiday is coming up and I know lots of you will be entertaining. I compromised and have done quantities that will feed 4-6 people but can be easily upscaled for more. ( If you want to make a version that will feed 8-10 people, add another pack of 8 sausages, 3 more bacon rashers and another tin of chopped tomatoes.)
Apologies for the photos, they’re not my finest! It involved me standing on a chair, taking pics on my iPad, whilst 7 hungry people waited patiently to eat! 🙈
The loaf in the background is my Cheesy Herb Bread. A really easy, yeast free loaf that I make all the time to go with soups, stews etc. The recipe is in my cookbook….if you want to order a copy of The Savvy Shopper’s Cookbook CLICK HERE
- 2 packs of 8 Lincolnshire sausages
- 5 rashers of smoked bacon
- 1 red pepper
- 1 tin of kidney beans
- 1 large onion
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 x 500g tub passata
- olive oil for frying
- Heat the oven to 180C
- Seperate the sausages and place them in a large ovenproof pan on the hob. Add to the pan a finely chopped onion, the finely sliced bacon and the red pepper- cut into slithers.
- Drizzle with olive oil and fry on a medium heat for 5 minutes, stirring regularly until the sausages are starting to get some colour.
- Add some finely sliced garlic to the pan and fry for a further 5 minutes.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, passata and kidney beans to the pan. Season with a little salt and lots of black pepper.
- Cover with 2 layers of tin foil and place in the oven 1 – 1.5 hours depending on how much time you have.
- Stir and serve with rice, pasta or bread.