Chilli Con Carne is one of my favourite dinners. It’s one of the first meals I ever learnt to cook. Aldi have just expanded their range of tinned beans, so I wanted to use them in a new recipe. I really wasn’t sure about substituting the beef for beans. We don’t eat much red meat, but what we do eat – I love!
I am eating a bowl of this right now, shovelling great mouthfuls between sentences – it’s absolutely delicious. I am genuinely surprised that a veggie meal consisting of mainly beans could be so….well……meaty!
I had all of the ingredients in the pan in just over 5 minutes and 20 minutes after that it was cooked! I think even die hard meat lovers (like my husband!) would like this one. If you’re thinking of giving “Meat Free Monday” a go, this is a great place to start. A cheap, healthy, quick, crowd-pleaser, with left overs for lunch the next day!
Feeds 4 with leftovers
- 400g tin mixed beans (drained)
- 400g tin butter beans (drained)
- 400g tin kidney beans (drained)
- 2 x 500g tubs of passata
- 1 onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- drizzle of olive oil
- 2 tsp chilli powder
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp sugar
- Finely slice the onion and garlic and place in a large non-stick frying pan with a drizzle of olive oil. Fry for 5 minutes until soft.
- Add the chilli, cumin, sugar and all of the drained beans and fry for a further 2 minutes. Stir regularly so that it doesn’t stick to the bottom of the pan.
- Add the passata. Stir and simmer for 20 minutes uncovered, until the beans are tender and the sauce has reduced. Serve with rice or jacket potato with a few torn up coriander leaves.