It’s Mother’s Day this weekend. I was looking for some recipes to make a special Mother’s lunch……when I remembered this scrummy little number! It is the perfect Mother’s Day treat! You can either serve it up after lunch or cut it into slices and pop it in a pretty box for a lovely homemade gift!!
This cake is perfect for those who are both baking and time challenged (like myself!) and a really good one to make with the kids. There are still plenty of baking jobs for them to do, but you can just pop it straight into a cake tin. No cutting required!
Pick your Mum’s favourite flavour chocolate and design your very own cookie cake……she’ll love it.
- 225 g plain flour
- 185 g butter
- 100g sugar
- Zest of an orange
- 2 x 100g Dark Orange flavoured chocolate
- 1 egg
- Heat the oven to 180C
- In a mixing bowl, cream the butter and sugar together with a wooden spoon until pale in colour.
- Add a beaten egg and the zest of an orange and stir until blended.
- Chop 1 and a half of the chocolate bars into small chunks. (Set the remaining half a bar of chocolate aside) Place the chocolate pieces in a bowl and mix in the flour until the chocolate is evenly spread.
- Add the egg and butter mix and combine until it is a dough.
- Grease an 18-20cm cake tin and place the dough in it, pressing it up to the edges.
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes, until it is still soft, starting to turn golden around the edges and cooked through.
- Half fill a saucepan with cold water. Break the chocolate into pieces in a mixing bowl. Add a tablespoon of milk. Place the mixing bowl on top of the saucepan, ensuring that it doesn’t touch the bottom of the pan. Slowly melt the chocolate and stir it into the milk, until it’s smooth.
- Dip the spoon into the chocolate and drizzle it all over the cake.
- This is best served when still a little warm. The next day it will be a shortcake like texture.