It has been such a busy week with one thing and another, so all of our dinners have been cobbled together from what was in the cupboards (which was not much!) Yesterday I decided that a wholesome, veggie meal was in order, to make up for the slightly odd combinations the kids have been presented with this week!……
Aldi now sell brown lentils! Better yet, they are frozen lentils, so they don’t take ages to cook. They’re mixed with red onions, semi dried tomatoes, red pepper and tahini, so they are a fantastic ingredient and very quick dinner.
This recipe is actually based on one of my Mum’s recipes. I loved it as a child, and my kids do now. It’s great as a hot meal, but also works well cold at a picnic. As you can see from the pictures, I used quite a large pie dish to bake it in (22cm width). I think a smaller one would work better to increase the thickness of the bake.
- 500g bag of Aldi frozen brown lentils and tahini
- 50g Cheddar cheese + a little to sprinkle over the top
- 2 slices of bread
- 1 grated carrot
- 1tsp dried oregano
- Drizzle of olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Heat the oven to 200C
- Put the frozen lentils and dried oregano into a frying pan and simmer on a low heat for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Grate the Cheddar cheese and the carrot and add to the lentils.
- Put the slices of bread in a food processor and blitz to crumbs. Add the breadcrumbs to the lentils, season with salt and pepper and stir for a minute, until the bread has soaked up all of the excess liquid.
- Grease a pie dish with a little olive oil.
- Tip the contents of the pan into the pie dish and press down firmly, especially around the edges. Sprinkle a little cheese over the top.
- Bake in the oven for 45 minutes. Leave to cool a little before slicing.