Following on from my last blog Roasted Onion & Parmesan Soup, I had half a block of Parmesan cheese that I wanted to use up, as well as a head of broccoli…..another one of this weeks Aldi Super 6!
This chicken in sauce combination is so quick to make. This is a healthy dinner that tastes like a calorific one! The main ingredients of Creme fraiche and broccoli whizzed together,with only a small amount of Parmesan, make it rich and creamy.
Don’t be put off by the bright green colour! The kids loved it! I served it with rice, but it would also work well on a jacket potato. If you want to make this dinner even healthier, use low fat Creme fraiche.
- 3 chicken breasts (diced)
- 1 onion
- 1 head of broccoli (cut into florets)
- 50g Parmesan cheese (grated)
- 3 basil leaves
- 200g creme fraiche (mixed with 100 ml of water)
- handful of mangetout
- handful of babycorn
- olive oil for frying
- salt and ground black pepper to taste
- Cover the broccoli florets in boiling water and simmer for 15 minutes until tender. Drain and set aside.
- Finely chop the onion and place in a frying pan with the diced chicken, and drizzle in a little olive oil. Fry for 5-10 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is no longer pink and the onions are soft.
- Put the broccoli in a mixing bowl and add to it, creme fraiche and water, grated parmesan cheese, torn up basil leaves, salt and pepper to taste. Using a hand blender, mix the ingredients into a creamy, smooth sauce.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken in the frying pan. Add the baby corn and mangetout and simmer for 10 minutes until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetables are tender.